We are Green!
Sustainability is one of our core values at the Phoenix Convention Center & Venues. From our partnership with local farmers to our green purchasing program and solar power plant, sustainability is integral to our daily operations.
Our West building is certified by the U.S. Green Building Council with a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver rating. The construction of the North building incorporated the USGBC’s, City of Phoenix green criteria and LEED standards. Our facilities provide clients with an energy-efficient venue that serves as a steward for the environment.
Comprehensive Recycling Program
The Phoenix Convention Center and its Executive Conference Center are responsible for over 1,400 tons of recycled materials between 2009 and 2011 through the use of the following practices:
- Materials including paper, aluminum, glass, water, sod, wood pallets, cooking oil, metal and plastic are gathered together, separated, and processed
- Distinct recycling bins are available throughout all facilities
Energy and Water Efficiency
- Thin film solar panels reduce the convention center’s carbon dioxide emissions by 95 metric tons per year providing enough electricity to power 12 to 14 average Phoenix homes each year
- The Habitat Water Harvesting Garden uses condensation from the facility’s air conditioning units to water the Living Wall and surrounding garden.
- High efficiency irrigation systems and low-flow water fixtures assist in reducing water usage
It is our promise to reduce the use of natural resources and to operate everyday at the highest green level. Below are a few ways we keep that promise:
- Monitor carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and nitrous oxide levels both inside and outside the facilities
- Use low-volatile or non-volatile organic compounds in paints, carpeting, adhesives and sealants
- Operate escalators based on occupancy and event needs
- Use vendors and suppliers offering eco-friendly products and services
- Aggressively recycle all office products and materials including batteries and light bulbs
- Ninety-five percent of the facility’s cleaning supplies are environmentally safe
The Phoenix Convention Center upholds its reputation as a premiere green meeting facility in North America by hosting meetings such as The Green Summit, Build it Green, SAP Tech Ed, National Apartment Association Green Conference and U.S. Green Building Council International Conference.
Food and Beverage
Our catering partner, Aventura, implements sustainable policies and procedures which provide our clients efficient service solutions leaving a lasting impact on the environmental footprint within our community. Here are just a few of their best practices:
- Utilization of the ORCA, organic refuse conversion alternative, machine to dramatically reduce the amount of methane gases produced from food scraps going to landfills by turning food waste into nutrient rich effluent matter
- Partnering with a local farm to provide fresh naturally-grown produce, organic meat and vegetarian selections for all convention center functions
- Participating in the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Sustainable Seafood initiative
- Using only Energy Star-rated kitchen appliances
Several green transportation options are available for traveling to the Phoenix Convention Center:
- Phoenix Convention Center East and Heritage parking garages are equipped with electric charging stations that provide 30 amps of charging power for electric vehicles.
- The METRO Light Rail serves the Greater Phoenix Area and has a dedicated stop assigned to the Phoenix Convention Center and Symphony Hall.
- Hybrid cabs are available throughout Downtown Phoenix and Valley Metro buses operate exclusively with low emissions natural gas.
To learn more about how we are minimizing our footprint on the environment, download our Sustainability Brochure.